As crappy a job as it has been of going through dad's house, it's been great that I have my brother to do it with. He's just too funny. He makes me laugh at times when I really wasn't expecting to laugh. He is making the job tolerable and I'm so thankful that he is back in town so I don't have to do it myself...selfish of me isn't it!
As we are both to have equal shares of everything neither one of us wants to step on the other toes and do something that will come back and cause hard feelings between us. As a result everything is one for me...one for you. Conveniently enough there were 2 cans of soup, 2 cans of beans...well, you get the picture. When we come across money we split it to the penny. The other day I threw some groceries in a bag that I knew we wouldn't eat, one item was a can of salmon. Today he returned the salmon asking with a straight face "Do you want half a can of salmon?" That cracked me up and still does to this minute.....
We are finding old pictures that are bringing back lots of memories.
It's hard walking into dad's house. We both imagine him asking "Who's coming in my house?" in his funny voice because he knows darn well who it is. It's hard going in the basement where he spent so much time working with his wood. It's hard going through the closet and dresser packing up clothes to give away to the needy. It's just hard sometimes and thankfully we can leave when it gets too much for us.
The kids came with us the other night and both were trying to find things that they could treasure that was dad's. They each found a crocheted blanket and brought them home to put on the ends of their beds. Mark says he is very impressed by what a good job he did "for his age".
Friday, September 19, 2008
1 for me....1 for you....
at
4:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Sheri I am so glad that you have your brother to help you with this job, that at times, can be more than one can handle.
Your bro sounds like a hoot! Hey, I love salmon...I'd ask for that back : )
I am equally glad to hear that Jade and Mark found some special treasures to keep to remember that grandfather by. So special.
Tell Mark that I am impressed with him, too!!
I can only imagine what a daunting task this must have been for you and your brother. It is nice that your brother could lighten the mood ... I always feel you have such a beautiful family.
Sending you warm thoughts and a cyber hugs!
Michelle
Awwww, it is so hard, isn't it? I'm glad your brother is there with you though and making it easier. Big hugs to you!
Hi Sheri,
I am sure this was a difficult task, but it sounds like you and your brother made a great team!!
I remember my Mom and her sister cleaning out my grandparents house...it was sad in the beginning, but as we found some old treasures, they brought back lots of terrific memories and stories that gave us much joy...it took them much longer than expected as everyone oohed and aawed over most things.....but it was one of those moments that brings a family closer together!
Thanks for giving me the link to your blog...you have a beautiful family!
Be back soon!
Lisa
Post a Comment