Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life....

Life goes on. It is really hard to believe how when someone dies it really doesn't take long before all that is left of them is memories. We have been taking our time emptying out dad's house because, thankfully, we live in the same city and can do that. Some of the items I thought we would never be able to sell have sold and the one item, his brand new truck, which I thought would sell fast, is now on consignment on a used car lot....grr.....

This week we sold the house.
The house Jeff and I grew up in.
The house my mother died in.

The house were all of our childhood memories are.
Dad's neighbour bought it so he can use it as a rental. He will be making a lot of changes, which he is excited about. He tells Jeff and I constantly that we have given him this blessing. I don't know what to feel sometimes. I am thrilled that with the housing market the way it is that this has happened so easily for us. It makes me sad that once that house is not ours anymore then that's that. I'm sure everyone goes through this, as all parents pass on. I know that what I'm feeling is typical but all the same it's heartbreaking and so....final.

I have not taken many pictures this month. I can't believe that November is half over!! It just can't be!!
On Friday night Karen and Ed came over for dinner. Mark was at a birthday party and Jade was being creative, until she pulled out the dominoes for us all to play. She likes to team up with Karen because they always win! Jade made herself this lovely tie which she had hanging in front of her face! Notice the calculator in front of her.....Mike had sooooooo many dominoes left that she pulled it out of the drawer for him so he could add up those dots easily!!




Jade made this lovely crown for her dad! It's full of jewels and hockey sticks!

Ed was the model for her beautiful creation!!! He's such a good sport!!






4 comments:

Missy said...

Hey sweet lady! Your post moved me to tears this morning. As sad as it is, life goes on. This is a concept that I am still trying to come to grips with, too. I am sure your feelings are all mixed up, as it is a blessing and a sadness to sell your family home. Just know that your memories of that house and the people in it will live on forever in your heart.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sherri I know exactly how you feel. When I had to walk away from Flamingo Drive I did not think my heart would ever heal. Heartbreaking is not a strong enough word for the feelings you feel when this happens. All I can tell you is that you do work thru it and the memories you have, the life you lived there is so strongly locked away in your heart and mind you can close your eyes and bring it into your present for the rest of your life. There are memories and then there are MEMORIES... You have no idea how often something will happen and I will, in my heart and mind, be back on Flamingo Drive reliving something all over again. And the comfort, joy and peace that brings to me could not be put into words. Give yourself some time to deal and process everything that has happened. I am here for you always, know that!. I love you.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Sherri,

I am so sorry that you are going through this....I know it is so difficult. I remember watching my Mom and her sisters do exact what your doing when my grandfather died! As much as you are relieved that the house has sold, I am sure it is difficult to let it go....hang in there my friend.

I cannot believe we are a week from Thanksgiving....YIKES...I am so behind!!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to sell your Dad's house, but I am sad to think it will never be the same again. Your friends are right. Memories live on forever and photographs too. I will always have great memories from your house and even though I have not been inside of it for many years I can picture the inside of it like it was yesterday. I am thinking of you and missing you.
Deb