I feel the need to do a little (or a lot) of bragging about this boy. I know it's narcisistic but we are just so proud of him so forgive me. This morning we attended a meeting with the school board where he was formally identified as gifted. Yes, he is smart. He was reading chapter books in grade 1, doing spelling dictation with the grade 2's for fun (and getting perfect every time), and he's getting rich earning a dollar for every A he gets on his report cards. Every year the teachers tell us how smart he is, how easy to teach he is because he's eager to learn but, as a parent, you know your kid is smart and you don't really think about how smart he actually is because that is just how he is. Last year when he was tested his scores were off the charts. So now he's identified and all these opportunities arise for him which will continue all through high school. Once a month he spends a day with other kids doing interesting and challenging work. He is so pumped about it and ready to go. Last year he went to 3 enrichment days and talked about them for weeks after.
At the meeting this morning he seemed so grown up listening to the committee tell him all about the program, then signing his name on the form. He answered all their questions politely and enthusiastically. He made Mike and I so proud! 
Friday, October 05, 2007
Formally Identified
at
2:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What an amazing little boy! I am also fasinated by really smart people ... knowing it is something I can only admire from afar! You have every right to be proud ... such a handsome, smart and completely amazing little boy. What a blessing!
Post a Comment